In a previous post I described my first attempt at dyeing with Alter Ego dyes - a combination of dyes that are used on silk/rayon blends, with the result being the silk and rayon fibers get dyed different colors. The scarf below was my project scarf - rayon velvet pile on a silk chiffon backing. The butterfly and swirls design is the silk showing. The post referred to above describes how I created it using devoré or burn out technique. I had used turquoise for the silk and purple for the rayon, but forgot to add salt to the dye mixture, which I discovered is essential for fixing the rayon dye! I had watched in dismay as all my beautiful purple dye washed down the sink when I rinsed the scarf out, leaving me with a pale blue scarf. It's not bad, but not what I was going for.
Last week I took my scarf up to Marcia's studio again for a re-do with the purple rayon dye, this time double and triple checking to make sure the salt was in the dye pot. After the appropriate 'cooking' time on the stove, I held my breath as I rinsed the scarf out, half-expecting to see color washing down the sink again. But voilà.... success! The rayon turned out the most sumptuous, deep shade of blue-violet, and the turquoise design really pops against it. This photo taken with Marcia's camera shows the colors nicely.
The back side of these velvet scarves isn't very attractive - there's no velvet pile and the design doesn't show - so I'm going to dye another piece of silk turquoise and sew that on as a backing, which should make the design pop even more. Stay tuned!