Recyling Paintings


Remember these 2 misfits? They were to be the first pair in my 'Color Complements' series, but most of the green dye (which I figured out was a bad batch) washed out. Well they're about to redeem themselves as mini-quilts....

First, I painted pieces of batting to use as a foundation. Next comes a layer of white, textured silk, then the painting (to which I added a bit more color). I furrowed the red area with random gathering stitches, and sewed pin tucks in the green area. At this point the painting is attached to the foundation only in the red area; I'll be holding it in place with hand quilting and embroidery stitches. I've started with some red French knots and green running stitches, which you can see if you click on the photo to enlarge it. This is fun!